How to Take Cimetidine Properly
Some general considerations for when and how to take the medication include the following:
- It comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth one to four times a day, depending on the condition being treated.
- For people with difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, prescription cimetidine also comes in a solution (liquid) form.
- You may take it with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter cimetidine to prevent heartburn, you should take it right before eating (or up to 30 minutes before eating), up to twice a day.
- If you take it on a regular basis (not just when you need it), you should take it at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take it just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your cimetidine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Cimetidine Dosing for more information.)