Cimetidine Reactions to Watch For
Some side effects of cimetidine, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia) or fast heart rate (tachycardia)
- Low levels of white blood cells
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Confusion, agitation, or hallucinations
- Symptoms of liver problems or hepatitis, including:
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Pain in the upper-right side of the abdomen
- Dark urine
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unusual rash
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the mouth or throat.
Rare Cimetidine Side Effects
Some side effects occur so infrequently with cimetidine that it is difficult to tell whether they are due to the medication or something else.
Some of these rare side effects include but are not limited to:
You may experience some or none of the cimetidine side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking cimetidine. Also, let your healthcare provider know if you develop something that "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medicine, your healthcare provider should be able to diagnose and treat the problem.