It is not known what exactly to expect if a person takes too much Dexilant. It is likely that the effects would vary, depending on how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with any other substances. If you believe you have taken an overdose, seek immediate medical attention. Treatment may involve pumping the stomach and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Dexilant?Dexilant™ (dexlansoprazole) is a prescription proton pump inhibitor (PPI) used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). As with any medication, it is probably possible to take too much Dexilant.
Although the specific effects of a Dexilant overdose are unknown, they would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Dexilant dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on Dexilant.
Effects of an Overdose of DexilantAt this time, it is not clear exactly what to expect from a Dexilant overdose. In studies, even very large doses (up to 300 mg, which is 5 to 10 times higher than the recommended Dexilant dosage) did not result in serious problems.
Treatment OptionsThe treatment for this type of overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, it is possible that the healthcare provider may administer certain medicines to induce vomiting, or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Dexilant from the body.
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Dexilant overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs.
Remember, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on this medication.