Serious and Rare Reactions to Famotidine
Serious Side EffectsThere are some less common, but potentially serious, famotidine side effects that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Confusion, agitation, or hallucinations
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Symptoms of liver problems or hepatitis, including:
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Pain in the upper right side of the abdomen
- Dark urine
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unusual rash
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the mouth or throat.
Rare Famotidine Side EffectsSome famotidine side effects occur in only a few people taking the drug. Because these side effects are so rare, it is difficult to tell if they are caused by famotidine or by something else.
Some of these rare side effects of famotidine include:
- A fever
- A loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Muscle pain
- Muscle cramps
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Changes in taste
- A decreased sex drive
- Impotence (see Famotidine Sexual Side Effects).
It is possible that you may experience some or none of the famotidine side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects, or something that "just does not seem right," during treatment with famotidine. While it may not be related to famotidine, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.