H2 Blocker Overdose
As will all medicines, it is possible to take too much of an H2 blocker. Some possible signs of an H2 blocker overdose include watery eyes, constricted pupils, and increased salivation. Treatment options for an overdose range from pumping the stomach to administering certain medications or giving supportive care (which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
An Overview of H2 Blocker OverdoseH2 blockers are medications that have been licensed to treat several conditions of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, including heartburn, ulcers, and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). H2 blockers are available in both prescription and over-the-counter forms. As will all medicines, it is possible to take too much of an H2 blocker.
If you happen to overdose on an H2 blocker, seek medical attention immediately.
Symptoms of an H2 Blocker OverdoseThe effects of an H2 blocker overdose vary depending on the particular H2 blocker. In general, the effects may include:
- Watery eyes
- Increased salivation
- Constricted pupils
- Changes in walking patterns
- Muscle tremors or shakiness
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Trouble breathing
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Loss of life.
Treatment for an H2 Blocker OverdoseThe treatment for an H2 blocker overdose will vary. If the H2 blocker overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an H2 blocker overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on an H2 blocker.