Is Licorice Safe?
If you are considering taking licorice, safety warnings and precautions should be fully understood. For instance, licorice can cause dangerous side effects, and some people are more likely than others to experience problems, such as people who have heart problems or kidney disease. To avoid any complications, it is a good idea to discuss potential licorice safety concerns with your healthcare provider.
Is Licorice Safe? -- An OverviewLicorice may provide numerous health benefits, but it can also cause dangerous side effects. Some people are more likely than others to experience problems. You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking licorice supplements or extracts, or before consuming a large quantity of licorice, if you have:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Heart disease or heart problems of any kind
- Cancer (or a history of cancer)
- Low blood potassium levels (hypokalemia)
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- Impotence (also known as erectile dysfunction or ED).
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medications you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.