GERD Home > Axid Overdose
Symptoms of an Axid overdose can include constricted pupils, increased salivation, and vomiting. Among the treatment options for an Axid overdose are pumping the stomach, administering certain medicines, and supportive care. If you began treatment with Axid and overdosed, and/or believe you may have overdosed, seek medical attention immediately.
Axid® (nizatidine) is a medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, including heartburn, ulcers, and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Axid is available in both prescription and over-the-counter forms. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much Axid.
If you happen to overdose on Axid, seek medical attention immediately.
The effects of an Axid overdose may include:
- Watery eyes
- Increased salivation
- Constricted pupils
The treatment for an Axid overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Axid overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
If you began treatment with Axid and overdosed, and/or believe you may have overdosed, it is important that you seek medical attention immediately.