GERD Home > Treatment Tips and Prescribing Guidelines for Axid
- The prescription version comes in capsule form, while the non-prescription version comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition, Axid is usually taken by mouth one or two times a day.
- For people with difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, prescription Axid also comes in a liquid form.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If you are using the over-the-counter version to prevent heartburn, you should take the drug 30 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- If you take Axid on a regular basis, not just when you need it, it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood. If you take the medication just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For this medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Axid will not work if you stop taking it.
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.