GERD Home > Cimetidine Overdose
A person who has overdosed on cimetidine may experience symptoms such as trouble breathing or rapid heart rate. Very high doses of cimetidine have resulted in loss of life. Treatment for a cimetidine overdose may involve administering certain medications or "pumping the stomach." Treatment may also include supportive care (such as fluids through an intravenous line).
Cimetidine (Tagamet®) is a medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions of the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, including:
Cimetidine is available in both prescription and over-the-counter forms. As with all medicines, it is possible to take too much cimetidine.
If you happen to overdose on cimetidine, seek medical attention immediately.
- Trouble breathing
- Rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Loss of life.
Deaths have resulted from very high cimetidine doses (over 40,000 mg).
The treatment for a cimetidine overdose will vary. If the cimetidine overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a cimetidine overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
Seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on cimetidine.