GERD Home > Taking Famotidine Properly: What You Need to Know
When and How to Take ItFollowing are some general considerations for when and how to take famotidine:
- The medication comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition, it is usually taken by mouth one or two times a day.
- For people who have difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, prescription famotidine also comes in a suspension (liquid) form. Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose.
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If you are using the over-the-counter version to prevent heartburn, you should take it 10 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- If you take famotidine on a regular basis, not just when you need it, it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood. If you take the medication just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For famotidine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of famotidine your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.