GERD Home > General Information on H2 Blockers
When and How Do I Take Them?Some general considerations for when and how to take H2 blocker medications include:
- H2 blockers are taken by mouth, usually one to four times per day, depending on the specific product and the condition being treated.
- It does not matter if you take an H2 blocker with or without food. If you are taking an over-the-counter H2 blocker just when you need it, it should be taken before eating a meal in order to be most effective.
- If you take an H2 blocker on a regular basis (not just when you need it), it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood. If you take an H2 blocker just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For H2 blockers to work properly, they must be taken as prescribed. Your medication will not work if you stop taking it.
H2 Blocker DosageThe dosage recommended by your healthcare provider will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The specific type of H2 blocker
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.