GERD Home > Licorice Overdose
Taking too much licorice may cause some extremely dangerous side effects, such as high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, and hormonal changes. If you happen to overdose on licorice, seek immediate medical attention. If an overdose occurs, treatment will most likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Overdosing on Licorice: An OverviewWhat symptoms can a licorice "overdose" cause? Is it even possible to take too much licorice? It is not known exactly what to expect from consuming too much licorice, but it is likely that the effects will vary, depending on the source of the licorice (through supplements, extracts, or food) and the amount consumed.
Effects of a Licorice OverdoseMany people think of licorice as a harmless substance. After all, how dangerous could a product used in candy really be? Actually, real licorice can cause some extremely dangerous side effects, and it is reasonable to assume that a licorice overdose could cause serious problems as well. In particular, an overdose could cause the following effects:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Low blood potassium (hypokalemia)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Muscle damage
- Hormonal changes, such as missed periods (in women), a low sex drive, or impotence (in men).