GERD Home > Nexium Overdose
As with other medicines, it's possible to overdose on Nexium. Overdose symptoms associated with taking too much Nexium include such things as confusion, drowsiness, and blurred vision. Other symptoms that may develop as a result of a Nexium overdose include an increased heart rate, nausea, headache, and dry mouth. If a person does take too much Nexium, there is no way to quickly remove the medication from the body; treatment in such situations typically involves supportive care for the symptoms of the overdose.
Nexium® (esomeprazole magnesium) is a medication that is used to treat a number of conditions within the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. Just like with all medicines, it is possible for a person to overdose on Nexium. The effects of a Nexium overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors (such as how much Nexium is taken).
If a person overdoses on Nexium, the symptoms can vary. Symptoms of a Nexium overdose may include:
- Blurred vision
- Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
- Dry mouth.
In an experiment conducted with lab rats, Nexium doses that were equivalent to 103 times the normal dose resulted in death.
There is no treatment that can remove Nexium quickly from the body. In the event of a Nexium overdose, treatment involves supportive care, which refers to treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
If you happen to overdose on Nexium, seek medical attention immediately.