GERD Home > More Instructions for Taking Pepcid
- A liquid form of prescription Pepcid is available for people who have trouble swallowing capsules or tablets. Make sure to shake the liquid well before each dose. Liquid Pepcid is good for 30 days after it is mixed by your pharmacist. After 30 days, it should be thrown away.
- Be sure to ask your healthcare provider about how long you will need to take Pepcid. Some people need to take it for only a short period of time (a month or two).
- The medication can be taken with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter Pepcid AC to prevent heartburn, you should take it 10 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- Pepcid should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take it just once a day, it is usually best to take at bedtime.
- For Pepcid to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it. However, many people need to take Pepcid only until their ulcer or esophagitis is healed.
- The Pepcid dose is decreased for people who have poor kidney function (including kidney failure). If you have kidney problems, ask your healthcare provider about which dose of Pepcid you should be taking.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Pepcid dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.