GERD Home > Pediatric and Off-Label Indications for Prevacid 24HR
Can Children Use Prevacid 24HR?Prevacid 24HR has not been approved for use in people under the age of 18, probably because children with heartburn-like symptoms should be evaluated by a healthcare professional. In addition, many children are not able to swallow capsules and need a liquid form of medication instead.
Off-Label Prevacid 24HR UsesOn occasion, your healthcare provider may recommend this product for treating something other than frequent heartburn. This is called an "off-label" use. Some off-label Prevacid 24HR uses may include:
- Treating gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Healing erosive esophagitis (erosions of the esophagus usually due to severe GERD)
- Preventing the return of erosive esophagitis
- Treating ulcers, including stomach ulcers (gastric ulcers) or small intestine ulcers (duodenal ulcers)
- Preventing ulcers due to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Treating pathological hypersecretory conditions, such as:
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
- Multiple endocrine adenomas
- Systemic mastocytosis
- "Short-gut" syndrome.
In addition, taking this medicine long-term is a common off-label use.