GERD Home > Reglan Overdose
If you take too much Reglan (metoclopramide), overdose effects may include drowsiness, disorientation, and extrapyramidal symptoms. In newborns, an overdose of the drug may also cause a dangerous condition called methemoglobinemia. Treatment for a Reglan overdose may include medications, "pumping the stomach," and supportive care.
Reglan® (metoclopramide) is a prescription medication used for a variety of different purposes. It is possible to take too much Reglan. The specific effects of a Reglan overdose may vary depending on a number of factors, including the Reglan dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of a Reglan overdose include, but are not limited to:
- Extrapyramidal symptoms, such as:
- Unusual body, facial, or tongue movements
- Muscle tension or contractions
- Feelings of internal restlessness or jitteriness.
In newborns, a Reglan overdose can cause a dangerous condition known as methemoglobinemia.
The treatment for a Reglan overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment also involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV), if necessary
- Medications to control the extrapyramidal symptoms
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Reglan.