GERD Home > Tips on Taking Zantac
- It comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition it is being used to treat, people generally take the medication by mouth one to four times a day.
- Peppermint-flavored Zantac syrup is available only with a prescription.
- Zantac also comes in an EFFERdose® tablet form that has a light citrus taste. These tablets are meant to be dissolved in water before being taken. Zantac EFFERdose is especially effective for use in children. These tablets are available only with a prescription.
- EFFERdose tablets should never be chewed, swallowed whole, or dissolved on the tongue. Instead, they must be dissolved in a certain amount of water before they are taken.
- You may take the medication with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter Zantac to prevent heartburn, you should take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking foods or beverages that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- Take Zantac at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take it just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For the medication to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.