GERD Home > Zantac
Zantac is a medicine that is used to treat various conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. By blocking a specific kind of histamine receptor in the body, the medication can help treat heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), erosive esophagitis, gastric ulcers, and other conditions. Zantac is available over the counter or by prescription and comes in a number of different strengths. Common side effects of the drug include headache, constipation, and diarrhea.
- Duodenal ulcers (ulcers in the very first part of the intestine after the stomach) -- It can be used to treat a duodenal ulcer and also to prevent ulcers from coming back.
- Gastric ulcers (stomach ulcers) -- Zantac helps to heal a stomach ulcer and to keep ulcers from returning.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Erosive esophagitis (damage to the esophagus, usually due to stomach acid) -- It can be used to heal erosive esophagitis and to prevent it from returning.
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions (in which too much stomach acid is produced), such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome or systemic mastocytosis.
- Acid indigestion
- Sour stomach.