GERD Home > Zegerid Side Effects
Although most people have no problems with Zegerid, adverse reactions are possible. The most commonly reported side effects of Zegerid include headaches, diarrhea, and abdominal pain (stomach pain). Notify your healthcare provider right away if you experience serious side effects, such as difficulty breathing, seizures, or an unexplained increase in urination.
An Introduction to Zegerid Side EffectsAs with any medicine, Zegerid® (omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
Common Side Effects of ZegeridInterestingly, the information on potential side effects in the prescribing information for Zegerid comes largely from studies that used plain omeprazole (Prilosec®), rather than omeprazole/sodium bicarbonate. However, possible side effects are expected to be similar for both medications.
- Headaches -- in up to 6.9 percent of people
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 5.2 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 3.7 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold -- up to 1.9 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 1.5 percent
- General weakness -- up to 1.3 percent
- Constipation -- up to 1.1 percent
- Coughing -- up to 1.1 percent
- Back pain -- up to 1.1 percent.