Basic Instructions for Nizatidine
Some considerations for people taking nizatidine include:
- Prescription nizatidine comes in capsule form, while non-prescription nizatidine AR comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition, nizatidine is usually taken by mouth one or two times a day.
- A liquid form of prescription nizatidine is available for people who have trouble swallowing capsules or tablets.
- Be sure to ask your healthcare provider about how long you will need to take nizatidine. Some people need to take nizatidine only for a short period of time (a month or two).
- Nizatidine can be taken with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter nizatidine AR to prevent heartburn, you should take it 30 minutes to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- Nizatidine should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood. If you take nizatidine just once a day, it is usually best to take at bedtime.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Nizatidine will not work if you stop taking it. However, many people need to take nizatidine only until their ulcers are healed.
- The dose of nizatidine is decreased for people who have poor kidney function (including kidney failure or renal failure). If you have kidney problems, ask your healthcare provider about which dose of nizatidine you should be taking.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or nizatidine dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.