Important Nizatidine Instructions
Some general considerations for when and how to take this medication include:
- Prescription nizatidine comes in capsule form, and non-prescription nizatidine AR comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition, the medicine is usually taken by mouth one or two times a day.
- For people who have difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, prescription nizatidine also comes in a liquid form.
- Nizatidine can be taken with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter nizatidine to prevent heartburn, you should take the drug 30 minutes to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- If you take this medication on a regular basis (not just when you need it), it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain even levels of the drug in your blood. If you take nizatidine just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition you are being treated for
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Nizatidine Dosing for more information.)