Important Instructions for Taking Pepcid
Following are some general considerations for when and how to take this medication:
- It comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition, it is usually taken by mouth one or two times a day.
- For people who have difficulty swallowing capsules or tablets, prescription Pepcid also comes in a suspension (liquid) form. Make sure to shake the suspension well before each dose.
- It can be taken with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter Pepcid AC to prevent heartburn, you should take it 10 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking the foods that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- If you take Pepcid on a regular basis (not just when you need it), it should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take it just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For Pepcid to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dosage that your healthcare provider recommends can vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Pepcid Dosage for more information.)