Uncommon and Serious Reactions to Pepcid
While not as common, some side effects of Pepcid are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Confusion, agitation, or hallucinations
- Irregular heart rhythms (arrhythmias)
- Symptoms of liver problems or hepatitis, including:
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin
- Pain in the upper-right side of the abdomen
- Dark urine
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unusual rash
- Trouble breathing
- Swelling of the mouth or throat.
Some Pepcid side effects occur in only a few people taking the drug. Because these side effects are so uncommon, it is difficult to tell whether they are caused by the medication or something else.
Some of these rare Pepcid side effects include:
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Muscle pain
- Muscle cramps
- Hair loss
- Dry skin
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Changes in taste
- Decreased sex drive
- Impotence (see Famotidine Sexual Side Effects).
You may experience some or none of the Pepcid side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have side effects from a medicine that you have never tried. Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects, or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of Pepcid, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.