There are currently generic versions of prescription Prevacid on the market. They come in two forms (capsules and orally disintegrating tablets) and two strengths. There are other prescription drugs belonging to the same class of medications as Prevacid (proton pump inhibitors) that may be effective alternatives. Also, there is a proton pump inhibitor available without a prescription (Prilosec) and an over-the-counter version of Prevacid (Prevacid 24HR).
Can I Buy Generic Prevacid?Prevacid® (lansoprazole) is a medication that has been licensed to treat a number of conditions, including:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Erosive esophagitis
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infections
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions (such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome)
- Stomach ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers
- Frequent heartburn.
Brand-name, prescription Prevacid is manufactured by TAP Pharmaceutical Products, Inc. However, the medication is also available in generic form.
(This article refers to prescription Prevacid products. For information about the generic available for nonprescription Prevacid, see Generic Prevacid 24HR.)
Availability of Generic Prevacid
Prescription Prevacid is available in generic form in the following strengths:
- Lansoprazole 15 mg capsules
- Lansoprazole 15 mg orally disintegrating tablets
- Lansoprazole 30 mg capsules
- Lansoprazole 30 mg orally disintegrating tablets.
Generic Prevacid is made by various manufacturers, such as:
- Mylan Pharmaceuticals
- Teva Pharmaceuticals.