General Information on Taking Prevacid
Some considerations for people taking Prevacid include the following:
- The medication comes in a capsule or an orally disintegrating tablet that should be taken before eating.
- Your Prevacid dosage should not be split, chewed, or crushed.
- If you have trouble swallowing the capsule, you may open a Prevacid capsule onto a small amount of applesauce, orange juice, or tomato juice. Mix briefly and swallow immediately.
- The orally disintegrating tablets (SoluTabs) can be dissolved on the tongue (not chewed) or may be dissolved in a small amount of water (ask your healthcare provider for more information about doing this). It is not recommended that the SoluTabs be broken or cut to make a smaller dosage.
- Prevacid should be taken at the same time each day, to maintain an even level of medication in your system.
- For Prevacid to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Prevacid will not work if you stop taking it.