Important Instructions for Prevacid
Prevacid reduces the amount of acid in your stomach, which:
When and How Do I Take It?
Some general considerations for when and how to take Prevacid include the following:
- The medication comes in a capsule or an orally disintegrating tablet that should be taken before eating.
- Your Prevacid dosage should not be split, chewed, or crushed.
- If you have trouble swallowing the capsule, you may open a Prevacid capsule onto a small amount of applesauce, orange juice, or tomato juice. Mix briefly and swallow immediately.
- The orally disintegrating tablets (SoluTabs) can be dissolved on the tongue (not chewed) or may be dissolved in a small amount of water (ask your healthcare provider for more information about doing this). It is not recommended that the SoluTabs be broken or cut to make a smaller dosage.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your system.
- For Prevacid to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medicine will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Prevacid your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Prevacid Dosing for more information.)