Important Instructions for Prilosec
The recommended Prilosec dose for stomach ulcers (gastric ulcers) is Prilosec 40 mg once daily for four to eight weeks.
GERD and Erosive Esophagitis
The recommended dose for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is Prilosec 20 mg once daily for up to four weeks. For people with GERD and erosive esophagitis, the recommended dose is Prilosec 20 mg for four to eight weeks. Prilosec can be continued if needed to prevent erosive esophagitis from returning.
Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions
People with pathological hypersecretory conditions (such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome) usually require higher Prilosec dosages. The recommended dose is Prilosec 60 mg once daily, although some people may need even higher doses. Doses of Prilosec larger than 80 mg should be split up into two or three smaller doses per day.
Dosages for Children
The recommended Prilosec dose for children depends upon the weight of the child, as follows:
- Between 5 and 10 kg (11 to 22 pounds) -- Prilosec 5 mg once daily
- Between 10 and 20 kg (22 to 44 pounds) -- Prilosec 10 mg once daily
- 20 kg or more (44 pounds or more) -- Prilosec 20 mg once daily.
What About Prilosec OTC?The recommended dose of over-the-counter Prilosec OTC® (omeprazole magnesium) for frequent heartburn is Prilosec OTC 20 mg once daily for up to fourteen days every four months. It is not recommended to take Prilosec OTC long-term without talking with your healthcare provider first, in order to rule out more serious conditions.
General Dosing Information for PrilosecSome considerations for people taking Prilosec include the following:
- Prilosec comes in capsule form or as packets used to mix an oral suspension (liquid). It is taken by mouth once or twice a day. Prilosec OTC comes in tablet form.
- Prilosec is best taken on an empty stomach, half an hour before a meal.
- Prilosec capsules should not be chewed or crushed, as they contain tiny granules with a special coating that prevents stomach acid from destroying the medication. Prilosec OTC tablets should not be cut, crushed, or chewed.
- For people who have difficulty swallowing capsules, Prilosec capsules (but not tablets) can be opened and the contents sprinkled onto a spoonful of applesauce. The applesauce should not be hot and should be swallowed (without chewing) immediately.
- For the oral suspension, the contents of one packet are mixed with a certain amount of water (which varies, depending on the strength), left to sit for two or three minutes to thicken, and taken within 30 minutes. Rinse out the container with a small amount of water, and drink the contents if any of the drug remains.
- Prilosec should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Prilosec will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Prilosec or your Prilosec dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without discussing it with your healthcare provider.