What Is Prilosec?
(omeprazole) is a prescription medication used to treat several conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. It is part of a class of drugs known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs).
What Is It Used For?
Some of the uses of prescription Prilosec include treating:
- Duodenal ulcers (ulcers in the first part of the intestine after the stomach).
- Helicobacter pylori infections associated with duodenal ulcers -- The medication is used in combination with antibiotics to eliminate H. pylori bacteria in the stomach, helping to heal duodenal ulcers.
- Benign (noncancerous) gastric ulcers (or stomach ulcers).
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) -- Prilosec helps to treat GERD by relieving heartburn and healing esophagitis (damage to the esophagus).
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions -- The medication helps treat these conditions (when too much stomach acid is produced), such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Over-the-counter Prilosec OTC is approved to treat frequent heartburn that occurs at least twice a week.