What You Need to Know About Protonix
Some general considerations for when and how to take Protonix include the following:
- The medication comes in tablets and in oral granule packets. It is usually taken once or twice a day.
- Protonix tablets can be taken with or without food. Protonix granules should be taken 30 minutes before a meal.
- The tablets should not be split, chewed, or crushed.
- Protonix suspension comes as dry granules in individual packets. The contents of one packet should be sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce or mixed with a teaspoon of apple juice. These mixtures should be taken immediately. If you take it in apple juice, rinse the glass with more apple juice and drink the rinse (to make sure you get the full dose).
- Do not mix the granules in anything other than applesauce or apple juice.
- The granules can also be given through a nasogastric feeding tube (ask your healthcare provider about the best way to do this).
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day, to maintain an even level of Protonix in your system.
- For the medication to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dosage recommended by your healthcare provider will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless specifically instructed by your healthcare provider to do so.
(Click Protonix Dosing for more information.)