Tagamet Warnings and Precautions
In the case of Tagamet, warnings and precautions to be aware of with the drug include such things as its potential to interact with other drugs. Other issues to be aware of with Tagamet concern the importance of taking a lower dose of the medication if you have kidney problems.
- Kidney problems, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Liver problems, such as liver failure or cirrhosis
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
Be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Some Tagamet warnings and precautions to be aware of include the following:
- Tagamet can interact with certain medications (see Tagamet Drug Interactions). In fact, Tagamet is more likely than other similar medications to lead to drug interactions.
- Tagamet is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that Tagamet is probably safe for use during pregnancy. However, because Tagamet has not been studied in pregnant women, the full risks of using Tagamet during pregnancy are not known. If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using Tagamet during pregnancy (see Cimetidine and Pregnancy for more information).
- Tagamet passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider about using Tagamet (see Cimetidine and Breastfeeding for more information).
- Because the kidneys clear Tagamet from the body, the dose of Tagamet must be reduced in people with poor kidney function, including kidney failure (renal failure).
- Some of the symptoms of GERD, heartburn, or ulcers are similar to stomach cancer symptoms. Just because Tagamet helps relieve your symptoms does not rule out the possibility of stomach cancer.
- Tagamet can cause confusion, agitation, anxiety, hallucinations, disorientation, and other similar problems. Usually, this happens in elderly people who are severely ill and have other medical problems. Let your healthcare provider know right away if you are having any of these side effects.