Zantac 150 mg is a strength of the medication that is available over-the-counter and by prescription. This strength of Zantac is used to treat certain conditions related to the esophagus, intestines, and stomach. The prescription form of the medicine may be used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), duodenal ulcer, gastric ulcer, erosive esophagitis, and pathological hypersecretory conditions. Over-the-counter Zantac 150 is often used to treat heartburn, acid indigestion, and sour stomach.
Zantac® (ranitidine hydrochloride) is a medication that is available both as a prescription medication and an over-the-counter medication. It is used to treat several conditions related to the esophagus, stomach, and intestines. Zantac 150 mg is a strength of Zantac available with a prescription. This strength is also available over-the-counter.
Uses of prescription Zantac 150 include:
- Treatment and prevention of duodenal ulcer
- Treatment and prevention of gastric ulcer (stomach ulcer)
- Treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease (see GERD Treatment)
- Treatment and prevention of erosive esophagitis (damage to the esophagus, usually due to stomach acid)
- Treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions (in which too much stomach acid is produced), such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome or systemic mastocytosis.
Over-the-counter Zantac 150 is approved for the following conditions:
- Acid indigestion
- Sour stomach.
Over-the-counter Zantac can be used to treat these problems once they have started. Also, it can be used to prevent these problems if it is taken before eating or drinking foods that cause heartburn.
(Click Zantac Uses for more information on what Zantac is used for, including information about possible off-label uses of the medication.)