Zantac Guidelines for Various Conditions, Children, and Infants
Zantac Dosing for Erosive Esophagitis
The dose of Zantac used for treating erosive esophagitis is usually Zantac 150 mg four times a day. Once healed, the dose for preventing it from returning is typically Zantac 150 mg twice daily.
Zantac Dosing for Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions
The Zantac dosage that doctors recommend for these conditions (such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome) is usually Zantac 150 mg twice daily. If needed, the healthcare provider may increase the dose of Zantac for people with these conditions or recommend that they take it more frequently.
Zantac Dosage Information for Children and Babies
Zantac is approved for use in children and babies as young as one month old. The dosing of Zantac for children and babies is based on their weight.
Zantac Dosing for Ulcers
For the treatment of stomach ulcers or duodenal ulcers in children or babies, the recommended Zantac dosage is usually 2 mg to 4 mg per kg (a little less than 1 mg to 2 mg per pound) twice daily. The total amount per day should not exceed 300 mg (this is only an issue with larger children). For preventing ulcers from coming back once they are healed, the dose is 2 mg to 4 mg per kg (a little less than 1 mg to 2 mg per pound) once a day (no more than 150 mg per day).
Zantac Dosing for GERD or Erosive Esophagitis
For treating GERD or erosive esophagitis in children or babies, the dose is 5 mg to 10 mg per kg (a little less than 2.5 mg to 5 mg per pound) total per day. This is usually split up into two doses per day.
(Click Zantac for Babies for more information on using Zantac in young children.)
General Zantac Dosage Information
Some considerations for people taking Zantac include the following:
- Zantac comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition the medication is being used to treat, people take these tablets by mouth generally one to four times a day.
- A peppermint-flavored Zantac syrup is available only with a prescription.
- Zantac also comes in an EFFERdose® tablet form that has a light citrus taste. The EFFERdose tablets are meant to be dissolved in water before being taken. Zantac EFFERdose is especially effective for use in children. These tablets are available only with a prescription.
- Do not chew Zantac EFFERdose tablets or swallow them whole. EFFERdose tablets should not be dissolved on the tongue. Instead, EFFERdose tablets must be dissolved in a certain amount of water before they are taken. Zantac 25 EFFERdose tablets should be dissolved in at least one teaspoon of water. Zantac 150 EFFERdose tablets should be dissolved in 6 to 8 ounces (3/4 to 1 cup) of water.
- You may take Zantac with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter Zantac to prevent heartburn, you should take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking foods or beverages that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- Take Zantac at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take Zantac just once a day, it is usually best to take it after your evening meal or before bedtime.
- For Zantac to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. Zantac will not work if you stop taking it.
- People who have poor kidney function (including kidney failure or renal failure) likely need to receive a lower dose of Zantac. If you have kidney problems, ask your healthcare provider about which dose of Zantac you should be taking.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Zantac or your Zantac dosage, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.