Tips on Taking Zantac
Zantac was studied as a treatment for erosive esophagitis (damage to the lining of the esophagus, often due to stomach acid), and healing was seen in 84 percent of people taking Zantac, compared to 58 percent of people not taking the drug. It was also shown to be effective for preventing erosive esophagitis from returning once it had healed.
Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions
Zantac has been studied as a treatment for several pathological hypersecretory conditions (in which too much stomach acid is produced), including Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, systemic mastocytosis, and "short-gut" syndrome. These studies showed that Zantac is effective in decreasing stomach acid production and relieving symptoms, including diarrhea, pain, and loss of appetite.
Some general considerations for when and how to take Zantac include the following:
- It comes in tablet form. Depending on the condition it is being used to treat, people generally take the medication by mouth one to four times a day.
- Peppermint-flavored Zantac syrup is available only with a prescription.
- Zantac also comes in an EFFERdose® tablet form that has a light citrus taste. These tablets are meant to be dissolved in water before being taken. Zantac EFFERdose is especially effective for use in children. These tablets are available only with a prescription.
- EFFERdose tablets should never be chewed, swallowed whole, or dissolved on the tongue. Instead, they must be dissolved in a certain amount of water before they are taken.
- You may take the medication with or without food. If you are using over-the-counter Zantac to prevent heartburn, you should take it 30 to 60 minutes before eating or drinking foods or beverages that cause heartburn (up to twice a day).
- Take Zantac at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. If you take it just once a day, it is usually best to take it in the evening or before bedtime.
- For the medication to work properly, you must take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.